Monday, November 2, 2009

Cx #5 - Astoria

This past weekend Thor and I rolled out to the coast on Friday night to hang out with our friends, Annie & Andrew, and then do the Cross Crusade race #5 in Astoria on Saturday. We rolled into the race in just the nick of time - I had about 45 minutes to register, warm-up, and get to the start line.

My race started out really well. The five minutes prior to the start of the ladies race it absolutely POURED rain on us (like 1/2" in 5 minutes) so the course was incredibly muddy & slick. This favored riders with decent handling skills, and I think all the mountain biking I did this summer really paid off! I found myself right behind some ladies who typically finish in the top 5 (normally I never see these riders once the race has started). I began getting excited and then all of a sudden: fwhup, fwhup, fwhup, fwhup. My rear wheel was flat. Nooooo! Sigh...so I had to run a full lap carrying my bike until I got back around to the pit where I could swap my rear wheel out. At that point I was beyond last in my category....sigh...I managed to claw my way back a bit - but I think I ended up finishing about 33rd out of 38. Ouch. Oh well - it was still my favorite race of the season so far because of all the mud and tricky handling sections!
Here are a few pictures of the race!

I'm not actually in this shot - but it shows you the six-pack of barriers we had to run over.


Me - running with my bike shortly after my flat tire.

More running. Meh.

Back on the bike - finally!


This shot is funny because I actually look like I'm not moving! But you can see Thor in the background pointing me out to Laea (my dedicated cheering squad!)

After the race - showing off my mud while waiting in line to rinse off my bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment