Tuesday, June 3, 2008

veggies in the garden this year

So this is what the garden looks like now in early June:

These are the following little plants that I have planted in the raised bed:
  1. Carrots: Danvers 126 Daucus carota var sativus. These little guys are supposed to be a good variety for cool weather and dense, heavy soils - perfect for our clay like raised bed at this time! I just thinned them out to one plant every 3" -- it was sad to yank all the other little plants out.
  2. Peppers: Miniature Red Bell, Sweet Peppers Capsicum annum. I started these inside and they didn't sprout for ages. Just as I was about to give up on them they poked their little heads out of the soil! I have three of these plants in my raised bed now. I'm crossing my fingers that they produce some peppers this year!
  3. Beets: Early Wonder Beta vulgaris. Planted these directly outside. Seem to be doing fine so far....Stacy has had trouble with hers 'bolting.' I think this means they are flowering early. So far no problems with mine that I can see.
  4. Tomato Cherry: Rainbow Mix Lycopersicon lycopersicum (Hybrid). I started these in pots indoors and I think they are doing really well. The reason that I only can think this is that my tomatoes got mixed up when I moved them into larger pots....so I can't figure out which are my rainbow tomatoes and which are my jelly bean tomatoes. I have these planted in containers on these SE side of my house.
  5. Tomato Grape: Jelly Bean Red & Yellow Lycopersicon lycopersicum (hybrid). I started these inside as well -- same as above. Looks like they're doing well so far, but hard to tell as I don't know which are which and it's possible that all I have right now are cherry tomatoes!
  6. Tomato Bush: Italian Roma Lycopersicon lycopersicum. Once again - I started these inside, but these I was successfully able to keep separated - so I know where theses are planted. I have four plants right now planted in my raised bed in front of the Himalayan poppies that I put in. So far they are looking okay...although there are some holes missing out of the leaves.
  7. Lettuce Leaf: Red Sails Lactuca sativa. I started this outside back in April - it's starting to look harvestable!
  8. Spinach: Bloomsdale Spinacia oleracea. Started this outside as well - these plants are looking slighly larger than my lettuce right now.
  9. Basil. I originally planted about 30 starts of Aroma 1 Ocimum basilicum. These were looking great for awhile -- then I moved them outside. My guess is that I moved these outside too early during the cool spring that we're having. They are pretty stunted and yellow looking right now (about 1.5" tall). My mom came to visit this past weekend and noted that her starts were about 6" tall. So I broke down and bought four basil starts at the Portland Nursery this past weekend. This kind is 'Genovese' Ociumum basilicum - they are supposed to be nice & spicy and good for making pesto. Yum! All my basil is in containers on the SE side of my house - I'm thinking that gets the best sun right now (see above picture).
  10. Onions: Borrettana (Storage Onions) Allium cepa. Planted these in the raised bed -- of course I didn't mark them -- so I have them mixed up with the other onions I planted. Hmph. Note to self: next year make better notes when planting!
  11. Onions: Candy Hybrid (Sweet Spanish Onion) Allium cepa. Once again - don't know where these are planted. Sigh....
  12. Peas Snap: Cascadia Pisum sativaum. I planted these earlier this spring and built a trellis on the advice of Stacy who said that even if the package said they were self supporting I would wish I had a trellis. So far these guys are going like gang busters! One third of my trellis didn't sprout -- so I replanted the seeds today - we'll see what they do.
  13. Bush Beans: Nugget Phaseolus spp. I just planted these today. Supposedly birds will LOVE them....so hopefully they won't all get eaten before they mature.
  14. Squash Summer: Scallop (Patty Pan) Blend Cucurbita pepo. I just planted these today - I am excited for them to sprout! I think they will be great on skewers on the bbq!
  15. Rhubarb: Hmmm. Somewhere around the house I have the tag for the variety of Rhubarb that I planted this year. I LOVE rhubarb custard pie. So of course I had to add this little delicacy!
  16. Asparagus: Once again. Can't remember the exact variety I planted. The closest I have is Asparagus officinalis. This little veggie takes some work! It takes a year or two for this to produce a crop - you dig a deep trough to plant your asparagus crowns in -- and then carefully fill in around them with soil during the first summer. You don't want to harvest too heavily the next year, but watch out for disease in the fall or the crowns will rot over the winter!
  17. Artichoke: 'Green Globe' Cynara scolymus. This isn't actually in our raised bed - when I bought the plant I thought I could put it in a container - but apparently I didn't read the tag very carefully! This guy grows to 4'-6' and needs full sun! So I moved a bunch of plants in our front yard so I could put this in on the NE side of our house - I think it should get quite a bit of sun there. I am not sure how long it will take for this to get full grown - but it should be a nice mixture of evergreen and large, lavendar-blue flowers in the meantime.
  18. Mache: Valerianella locusta. This was a gift from Stacy - she brought over 5 plants for me to put in our raised bed and so far it's doing really well. Mache is a variety of salad green - you hear it called by a bunch of different names including Lamb's Lettuce (because the leafs are the shape of a lamb's tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment