Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New Blooms in the Garden

It has finally been sunny here for a couple of days in a row, and it is amazing what a little sun will do for the garden! Here are some new flowers that blossomed in the last day or so. Enjoy!

This is some variety of lily that is blooming in our back yard near the raised veggie beds. It is GORGEOUS! Sort of a mauve-rose color with gold strikes right down the middle of the petal. This is the first one to open up - I can't wait until we have a whole backyard full!


I had a hard time getting a good picture of the Lychnis that is blooming in our front parkstrip. I think this plant generally comes in white or a deep fuschia - so far everything we have blooming is white.


Nasturtiums!!!! I planted these guys in a planter box at the back of our house - I have them mixed in with geraniums that are already blooming. This combination was inspired by the planter boxes that we always had growing up in Alaska. The nasturtium variety that I planted was 'Alaska'....I think. Of course I can't find the seed envelope now - so I think I must have thrown it out earlier this spring...sigh.


This is a spirea of some sort. I had always heard they bloomed - but didn't really believe it because I thought mine just looked like a bush! So I was awfully surprised to see these pink blossoms pop out earlier this week. The entire plant is just covered with them!

Wooly Sunshine
. I picked three of these up as bare root plants at the Naturescape native plant sale earlier this spring in February. They are a good drought tolerant native that thrives in rock gardens and well drained soil. They're doing great out in our front park strip!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, your garden is gorgeous! I wish I had your green thumb! Am so excited to know about your blog...

    ReplyDelete