Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Maple Container in the Back

When we moved into this house there were a lot of containers left behind by the previous owner. Most of these had dead annuals in them or bulbs like lilies or dahlias - anyways - I've removed most of these and have been replanting the containers with perennials, succulents and some edibles. I'll post a series of snapshots of the containers and descriptions of what I have planted in them in the next few weeks. Right now I think the overall color tone of this container might be too yellow -- so I may divide it at some point.



  • Coral-bark Maple Acer Palmatum 'Sango Kaku' Mine is little, little, little right now. He was very sunburnt when I picked him up in the 50% off section of the Portland Nursery. I cut back all the sun burned leaves & branches and now it's starting to re-bud and grow again. I think it will be a great container plant!
  • Evergold Japanese Sedge Carex morrowii 'Evergold' This grass has variegated green and yellow 1/2" wide leaves that forms a clump 12" tall x 18" wide. It works well in containers, rock gardens & water features and does well in full sun to part shade. It is hardy down to -10 to 0 degrees F.
  • This container is partially planted with a creeping golden ground cover that my mom says spreads terribly and is awful. I kept it in the container - and I won't be moving it from there!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Instead of moving things out of your 'too yellow' pot, how about adding something bright like a coleus with red & green leaves - the leaves would be another interesting shape and add texture to your pot. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...isn't coleus an annual in our zone? I am worried that the bright red of the coleus might be too harsh with the sedum I have in there....it turns a lovely apricot rose-color in early spring to summer...and I am concerned the bright red of the coleus would clash too much. any other ideas for something orangey-er?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coleus come in many color variations of leaves - they are an annual in AK, I am not sure how they do year round in the NW. Check them out - some don't have red in the leaves.

    ReplyDelete