Friday, June 6, 2008

Sugar Baby!

I forgot to mention this little lovely in my earlier post about what's planted in our garden. We're growing a watermelon!!! At least I'm trying to anyways (Anna's the inspiration for this addition. She & Harrison grew one last year in their roof top garden in Hawaii). The 'Sugar Baby' variety is an Ice Box type of watermelon - they get to be about 5-7 lbs at the time of harvest. I selected this variety to try because it sounds like people in Michigan & North Dakota have had success with this type. Did I check to see if they're the same zone as I am? Nope! I just assumed we both had chillier summers than a typical melon would like....so we'll see how my less than stellar research fares me. Now if only it would turn into summer here in Portland! I'll never get a melon if the sun doesn't come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment