Friday, July 11, 2008

Yucca Container

This large yucca was one of the plants left behind by the former owner of our house. I thought it was an otherwise empty container, but this spring about 5 lilies started growing out of the dirt. Odd. Lilies & a yucca. My mom thought this was a strange combo as well so on one of her visits to Portland this spring she transplanted all the lilies for me and chose some succulents at the Portland Nursery to fill in the pot.


Mom chose this Sedum to add a little height to the pot. It is a Sedum alboroseum 'Mediovariegatum' and it is very closely related to Autumn Joy. Later on in the summer these should have blooms of little white flowers all over them and attract a bunch of butterflies. At the end of the summer this will die back and can be cut to the ground - then it will re-sprout next spring.


This little red guy is a Sedum spurium 'Dragons Blood'. This spreading, evergreen ground cover is covered with starry red flowers from late June into the fall (you can see them here in this picture). I have a lot of this plant out front in our rock wall, but it is doing great in this container too!


I am not sure what these fleshy little succulents are. I have been collecting them from around the neighborhood where they have self-seeded into the parking strip. They are a wonderful bright green all winter and are just now producing these delicate white blooms.


I scavenged these hens & chicks from a neighbors rock wall down the street. Shhh. They have about a million of these covering their front bank and earlier this summer a couple had fallen off and were sitting on the side walk. So I took them home with me and planted them and they re-rooted and look to be doing quite well at this point. I am hoping they spread!

No comments:

Post a Comment