Monday, July 7, 2008

Early July Blooms

When we got home from Katie & Zabyn's wedding yesterday I took a quick tour around the garden and we have a whole host of new flowers that opened up over the weekend while we were away. Enjoy!

This little red lily is over near the fence on the NW corner of our yard - it is tucked away in the shade and there is only one of them - I haven't seen a single other lily this color in our yard.


This cluster of pink lilies is in our front yard in full sun. They are a beautiful coral pink with school bus yellow centers. There are a few more stalks of lilies around the front yard that haven't blossomed yet, but I'm hoping they will be this color too!


One of the many dahlias springing up all over our yard - this pink variety is one of the first to open up this summer. It is currently in our back box with the nasturtiums and geraniums, but I'll probably transplant it somewhere else once it is done blooming.


This gorgeous, delicate yellow dahlia is out on the east side of our house tucked in next to the raspberries.


This fuschia was one of the un-identified plants left behind by the previous owner of our house. There was a container sitting out underneath our cherry tree that had a very dead looking plant in it this winter. Being the lazy gardener that I am I didn't feel like dealing with it so I just left the container alone and at the end of May I noticed that the branches were starting to get little buds on them. It had turned into quite a healthy looking green bush, but I wasn't expecting the flowers! It was a treat to come home and see these blossoms and finally be able to identify what was growing. It's a good thing I didn't dump my 'dead plant' into the yard waste in March!


This lily is all pink and is one of a number of this variety growing on the west side of our house in the shade. They look very robust, but not that happy as they are growing horizontally along the ground as if they are trying to find some sunlight. I think once they are done blooming I will transplant them to an area of the yard with more sunlight.


Remember those 'Himalayan' poppies I was all excited about earlier this month? Well - they're blooming and they are NOT himalayan poppies. They are a very nice, fringed, single petal poppy that is coming up in a wild fuschia color... But they are not himalayans...sniff. I wish I could find my seed packet to read if they were some sort of varietal or if I just thought I bought the himalayans...or what happened. oh well. these are pretty too.


I think this is a Hollyhock. I am not sure -- anyone know what a Hollyhock looks like?


Our hydrangea finally bloomed. And they are not blue. I was SO SO SO looking forward to having a sky blue colored hydrangea in our yard -- and instead it looks like the Easter Bunny came to visit -- all sugary purple & pink covering the bush. Hmph. I have heard you can change the color of the hydrangea blooms by altering the nutrient content of your soil. I may need to look into this and figure out whether it is true or just an old wives tail.

2 comments:

  1. Hey_what is your friend Zabyn's last name...there is a Zabyn that i know through work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hollyhock is really a Malva :-). Isn't it fun to have a 'mystery' garden waiting to be identified.

    ReplyDelete