Sunday, November 9, 2008

SSCXWC Day #1

Yesterday my friend, Abby, and I rode the qualifying race for this weekends SSCXWC. The course and start times were kept a secret until the last minute. We were supposed to be at Chris King at 10am -- and of course it was pouring rain on our entire bike ride over to the meeting area. This was the scene when we first showed up. Lot's of people standing around, shivering, in the rain.


We received our start times and promptly retired to the local Starbucks (one of the only open places in the industrial district on a Saturday) to try and dry out a bit and pass the time until noon when we were scheduled to ride with our group up to the start line. The race wasn't exactly 'sanctioned' so we had to ride up in groups to the start line in Forest Park.


Noon rolled around and it was time to ride up Saltzman to the 'race'. We arrived up there around 12:15 and I caught this great picture of our friends, Beth & Lindsay. Lindsay was struggling with her attitude on Saturday. (Me too, to be honest). Not only were we standing around in the rain for a couple of hours getting chilly, but Lindsay's car had also decided to die - so by the time I caught up with her she had some very choice words (and gestures) for how the day was going thus far. I love Lindsay.


Here's a shot of Abby & I before the race. i.e. we're still clean.






The race went up Saltzman and down Firelane 5. I think it it took us just under 20 minutes to complete. The uphill was not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be, but the downhill was harrowing on a cross bike. Very muddy and twisty.











Here's after the race - still smiling, but much dirtier.


And a close up of our faces so you can see how muddy we actually are!


Once we were done we headed home - Abby took off to visit her boyfriend, Greg, at the Bike Gallery - and I headed home to see Thor. You can see how dirty I am -- and the picture on the left is me threatening to come and give Thor a hug in all my filthy clothes.


1 comment: