Monday, January 14, 2013

Whole 30 - The First Week

Hello!  I thought I would give a quick update on my first week of the Whole 30.  I was hoping to upload some photos to go with this, but I can't make my iPhone talk to the computer right now - and you all know how patient I am with technology!

So - so far, so good. My first week was fairly easy - I was very pleasantly surprised!  The biggest challenge for me so far is replacing cooking grains with protein.  We already ate a fair amount of vegetables, but adding more meat protein in (instead of relying on beans, tofu and quinoa) has been an effort. The fun part is that this has motivated me to try new recipes for the first time in ages - it is nice to get out of a rut!

Highlights of the First Week
  • Went from eating eggs on toast to eggs on yams for breakfast. Delicious! I think this is a keeper - it's so tasty with avocados too
  • After two mornings of black coffee (still yuck!) switching to coconut milk in my coffee was sweeeet heavenly delight (previously a major yuck in my book)
  • Survived fresh baked bread and butter served at knitting night (by 'survived' I mean I didn't eat any! I made a leek/yam/butternut squash soup that I could eat, and served olives and grapes as snacks).
  • Made homemade mayonaise for the first time - so it was dairy-free. Tasty recipe here
  • Went to TWO dinner parties over the weekend and didn't slip once:
    • Saturday I was able to eat the main dish they were serving - a delicious chicken/veggie stir-fry. I just brought my own coconut aminos to flavor with.
    • The menu for Sunday wasn't going to work for me (lasagna, caesar salad, and whipped cream and fruit).  So I brought my own dinner with me: stuffed peppers, and a delicious asparagus-basil salad.  Both hits - I'll make them again!
  • AND - I seem to be sleeping again!  Whether this is a case of the diet change working, or a placebo effect I don't care. I love sleeping through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment