Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy 6th Anniversary!


Sunday was Thor & I's sixth anniversary - fun!  We went to dinner on Saturday night so that we could watch the season three premiere of Downton Abbey on Sunday night (dorks!).   Dinner was lovely - we went to Le Pigeon - which never disappoints. We had two amazing appetizers (citrus poached prawns with celery root and apples, and sunchoke carpaccio with beets, huckleberries and horseradish), Thor had rabbit for dinner, and I had delicious hazelnut crusted scallops.  Yum! We topped it off with some foie gras profiteroles - so rich, yet perfectly balanced between savory and sweet.  It was a great meal to send me off into my 30-days challenge.

Sunday we weren't sure what we were going to do - but after getting up and puttering around making breakfast we decided to, you guessed it, go mountain biking for our anniversary! It has been so cold here that pretty much all the trails are snowed in except for an area down near Salem called Black Rock - it is mostly a free ride area, but Thor and I have been having a great time playing around down there so off we headed.  We were watching Seneca for the weekend so she came with us - piglet Laea stayed home because she is old and can't keep up running with the bikes anymore.  The highlight of the day was that I rode my first step-down! (which is basically just a drop in the trail).  Thor is always great and helps me work on problems and new skills out on the trail - so he was good about helping me break down what I needed to do in order to get off the drop and land successfully.   Hooray!  Anyhow - it was a great way to spend the day together doing something we both love, and then we came home for a low-key dinner at home followed by Downton Abbey. Perfect, perfect.


Thor - riding a stepdown on Bonzai.  Veeeery fuzzy.
My first step-down! This is the same drop as Thor is riding in the picture above, but even fuzzier!  We are going to work on our photography skillz.
Me coming over the top of a wood feature following Seneca - she is such a little charger!
My baby.
On the uptrail - we tried to catch a picture of the fog in the trees - but it started to blow out just as we were taking the picture. Typical!
Dirty butts! These Endura shorts are the best! Thank you Ralph and Aunt Susanna - these are so amazing for biking in the Oregon wet winter conditions - can't believe we rode so long without them.
Six years later!  Maybe we credit Uncle Fred for our shared mountain biking interest for taking us mountain biking in Phoenix 2-days before our wedding  (or blame him for our single-minded mountain biking obsession??! :) Which is it?)


4 comments:

  1. happy anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Yoona! I was just thinking of you the other day, actually. I bravely went outside - at night and in the rain - to empty a pyrex dish of veggie scraps into our compost container and my hands slipped and I dropped the whole pyrex dish into the muck - and to make it worse it was the day after pick-up so there was no easy way to reach it. I seriously considered just giving up and composting the glass dish - but those suckers are expensive! Anyhow - the situation reminded me of your compost post and gave me a good laugh.

      Delete
  2. Hey guys,

    This is Dave Moser. Happy Anniversary! I'm curious about these Endura shorts of which you speak. Can you give me the model number? I wanna check them out!

    ReplyDelete