Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sandy Ridge Spring Brake Super Ds

The past two weekends Thor and I have gone out to race the Sandy Ridge Spring Brake Super D series near Welches, OR.   Mom has been training to be a mtn. bike race official - so she has been out there as well, and it has been a lot of fun to see her at the races!  Thor and I both did really well in our races, and it was fun to get some downhill practice in - I can't wait to do more later this summer.  Thor got 3rd in his first race, but broke his chain in the second race and had to do the entire race chainless.  This resulted in a slower overall time for him (slow as in I actually beat him!!!), but he still had a great time.   I won both of my races (women's cat 2 - and for those of you who think I am sandbagging I'm waiting until I do an actual super D course before I decide to upgrade for Super Ds. Sandy Ridge is like a XC course pointed down hill - there are no ledges or gaps to negotiate).  I am; however, upgrading to Cat 1 for the next XC race, but that's not until the beginning of May.
    The weather was cold both Sundays: the first sunday it was pouring rain almost the entire time. I made the mistake of riding up to the start line (about a 35 min. ride uphill) with Thor for his start time - even though I didn't go off for almost another hour after him. I was soooo cold by the time my race started that I ended up racing in my rain coat (you can see my pink coat in the pictures).  I learned my lesson this week and did a pre-ride of the course when I first got there in the morning, and then cozied up in the car with my book for about 1.5 hours before it was time to ride up for my start.  MUCH better the second time around.
   
Here are some pictures of the two of us at the races.

Mom & I near the finish line after I finished on Sunday.
A couple of pictures from the April 3 race from Ruandy Albisuarez Photography:




This great picture of Thor going down hill in the third race (4/3) comes compliments of Tim Zimmerman Photography:


Here are some additional pictures from  Ruandy Albisuarez Photography for the first race on March 27:




Thor found another two of me on someone's flickr feed as well:

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are seriously hard core! Do you and Erica do the same kinds of races? We should do a family head to head one of these days. Justin would totally be into that! Congrats on your win and for being so awesome and amazing! We're moving out of our house soon and will be in Utah in July for a year doing fellowship and then we will start a job. Plus...I'm pregnant with #4. Just 12 weeks along, but so far things are fine. Did you read that Stacey's pregnant too? We're just two weeks apart. Crazy! We're driving up to Boston next week to see Teri run the marathon again which is always a blast. Send winning thoughts her way! She'll need them since it's a tough race.

    Have fun riding and maybe we'll see you at Liz's wedding soon:)

    Love ya,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on your win!
    It's so cool that your mom is going to be an official, I wish my mom would do that too!

    ReplyDelete