Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bridge of the Gods - 100.4 miles!

I had to ride around the block to officially bump myself over 100
miles, so I'm counting every extra 10th of a mile!

Abby and I did the Bridge of the Gods ride today-which is basically
north across the river to WA, east out until you get almost to
Stevenson, across the Columbia on the bridge and into Casacade Locks,
OR, and then back west along the historic Columbia Hwy and into
Portland.

It was a gorgeous day - the temp was about 58. I had never been out
on the historic hwy before, and it was really beautiful! Overall a
pretty flat ride - with one climb around mile 60 up to a point where
you get a fantastic view of the gorge.

I am trying to get better about knowing how many calories I need to
take in on rides (in general I would guess I probably have a tendency
to overeat) - I read somewhere that for long races/rides (like 6 hrs
plus) a good rule of thumb is about 2 calories per pound of your body
weight per hour. So for me this would be about 300-320 calories per
hour. We were riding for about 6.5 hours-which would mean I should
have eaten ~1900 calories. I kept track of what I ate over the course
of this ride (which I did not pre 'plan'- just ate as I went. Took
some snacks, plus stopped at a gas station when I felt hungry):

Liquids (not counting H20):
24 oz. Bottle of carbo rocket (110 cal)
20 oz. Flat coke (240 cal)

Solid food
4 shot blocks (120 cal)
1 power bar (240 cal)
1 Luna bar (190 cal)
1 almond snickers bar (230 cal)
1 bag smokehouse almonds (340 cal)
2 servings gel (180 cal)

If my quick math is correct this was about 1970 calories - and I
rolled into the house just starting to feel hungry - so I'm thinking
this was just about perfect! I've decided I really like smokehouse
almonds on long rides - they have an obscene amount of salt on them
that tastes fabulous mid-way through a long ride. Coke in my water
bottle the second half of my ride is my other new favorite thing. I
like the caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment