Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Day & Climbing in Ouray

We spent part of our time in Colorado visiting with Ralph in Ouray. I had never been there, but Thor was right: Ouray is the most beautiful little town I've ever been to! It's like visiting a little village somewhere in the Alps. We rolled in on Wednesday night and spent Thursday climbing at the Ouray Ice Park. I was worried I wouldn't be able to make it up any climbs since it had been over five years since I'd been on the ice - but surprisingly the climbing came back quite easily and I had a really fun time and wasn't even that tired! I loaded all the pictures up onto Facebook - so here's a link to the album of all our climbing pictures from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43886&id=1048487456&l=29085cf2e9, but here's one picture of me on Tangled Up In Blue on Christmas just to get you excited (I don't know why it's so small here....sigh. I'm TERRIBLE with technology)!


Thursday night we went to Orvis Hot Springs and spent a wonderful couple of hours lolly-gagging about in the main hot spring. Properly relaxed we headed home to watch the Star Wars trilogy on cable and eat delicious linguine!


We had a great Christmas morning with Ralph, and then rolled out to the ice park again to get a quick climb in before Daphne and her boyfriend, Corey, showed up to visit for a little bit. Here's a picture of us all together on the porch:


Corey, Daphne, Me, Thor & Ralph


In the afternoon we headed south over Red Mountain Pass back down to Mancos to have Christmas dinner with Sheri & Fred. It was a wonderful, delicious dinner - but sadly I didn't get a single picture of the table, tree or family from Sheri's house on Christmas Day. You'll just have to trust me when I say it was beautiful, and we had a great time!

4 comments:

  1. It was the best time!!!! You hit it on the right week, too. It's snowing like Bing Crosby's White Christmas right now. My car blew the head gasket and is at the Subaru hospital in Boulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear about your car! it's snowing in portland right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! So I am blog hopping and stumbled upon your blog then showed it to one of my teenagers. I call you crazy with the ice climbing, biking in snow and then biking where you have to pick the thing up. He calls it living life to the fullest. Obviously he is closer to your generation than I am! :) Beautiful sweater you knitted! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! We have a lot of fun, I have to say. The sport where you pick the bike up is called Cyclocross - and it's a blast! Super family friendly too. =) Hope you had great holidays Gayle - thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete