Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow Day!

The weather reports have been threatening snow all week with weather advisories posted everywhere. Of course, nothing had materialized as of last night - so I completely gave up hope of seeing anything white & fluffy on the ground, and then we woke up this morning to a nice layer of snow covering everything! Excellent!   It's nothing like the snow coverage we had back in 2008 - but it's still fun to get a dusting, and it makes my heart happy to wake up and peer out the window from my bed to see the first snow of the year. It makes me feel like a kid again! 

What I was struck by this morning was that when I first opened my eyes I knew that it had snowed just because of the color of the sky. When there is snow on the ground the dark sky is brighter (more like a dark brown). I'm not sure if this will make sense to people who didn't grow up where it snowed during the winter because I think the difference is pretty subtle, but the black of the night sky is brighter when there is snow on the ground reflecting all available light back up into the sky.

Thor - on the sidewalk in front of our bank.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I thought you would be riding your bikes in shorts. We are supposed to get up to 2 inches of snow after midnight tonight. So, I'm going to Alyeska Friday and Saturday. I haven't been in two years and am looking forward to skiing now that I've finally kicked the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I'm glad to hear you're finally feeling better. I'm sorry you were sick for so long - I wish I could just pop up to AK to go skiing with you!

    ReplyDelete