Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Back on the Bike!

We had a pretty mellow weekend - but the for sure highlight was that I got back on my bike for the first time!  It was short, but it was biking.  My arm felt pretty good, but not 100%, and today I had the sinking realization that my 100-mile mtb race is in just 2 weeks.  Yikes.  Somehow I had convinced myself that the race was on the 28th, but I double checked the calendars this afternoon and it's the 21st.  I don't know if my arm is going to be ready for that ride - i REALLY want to do it, but I also don't want to be stupid and re-injure myself by going too long/hard right after I'm back riding.   I will be sad if I can't do the HC100, but what will severely bum me out is if I do it, re-injure myself, and then am still having trouble when we take our trip to BC to ride at the end of August....that is definitely my priority.  So. I will just have to play it by ear and see how things progress.  I'll try to go for a longer mtb ride this weekend and see if I have any pain/swelling afterwards.  Stupid getting old and not healing up from injuries as quickly!

Aside from the biking we hung out with our good friend Emily, spent Saturday night watching the Tour de France and watching the devastating women's XC world cup MTB race with friends on our bike team, and enjoying delicious burritos with William and Adele on Sunday night. It was a great weekend!

Thor - enjoying his very first shot of Pappy Van Winkle's 20-year bourbon.  If anyone knows how to get their hands on a bottle of this (release is every November-ish) contact me. 

Post my short (20-minute) MTB to test out my arm. I rode with tape and brace - definitely not perfect - but lightyears better than it was 3.5 weeks ago!

Aunt Susanna's White Trash Christmas Cake with a summer twist!  Made this holiday classic with strawberries and fresh whipped cream instead of cool whip and crushed candy canes. Yum!

Voila!  Instant Fourth of July BBQ dessert.  It was a hit!

Just your typical wild and crazy Saturday night with the bike team - geeking out and watching bike races.

1 comment:

  1. That cake looks great! I am happy to see that you are back on the bike, and I agree don't push it yet so you can have a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete