Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 7: Bend and then Home!

On Monday night Thor had a great idea: that we drive 8-hours straight from Downieville, CA to Bend, OR so we could squeeze in one final day of riding before heading back home. So! Off we went at 6PM on our way north, and at 2AM we rolled safely up to our 'regular' campsite nears the Phils trail system in Bend. Success! Tuesday morning we were up early, and after a quick breakfast at Chow we hit the trails.   We have wanted to ride the Bend high country for a long time - so we were very excited to link together the following route: North Trail --> Upper Mrazek -->Metolius Windigo-->Flagline-->South Trail (at least...I think these are the trails we linked together...I have a hard time remembering after the fact even though I'm trying to get better about reading the map!).    This was our chilliest ride of the trip by far - and both of us were excited to have our long-sleeve jackets with us.  Check out our pictures from the ride (I actually had a couple more - but I can't figure out how to post them right side up! Every time I upload them they turn upside down. So only two pictures it is!)

We drove home post-ride and ended the trip with a tasty pizza dinner with Mom at Apizza Scholls. A fine way to end the vacation!

p.s. I know I haven't posted pics from Days 5 or 6 - but all the good photos live on cousin Erica's phone and she is still on vacation. =)
p.p.s. Check out Ralph's recap of the first couple of days of our trip on his blog - it's much better descriptive writing than you will ever get from me!

Tumalo Falls - much larger and more beautiful in person than the photo makes it look.

Thor at the high point in the ride. Look at that snow - brrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment