Wednesday, September 14, 2011

2011 Oregon Super D Finals

I just realized I loaded all of these photos up last week and never posted them!  Last weekend (9/4) was the final race in the Oregon Super D series - and both Thor and I started the race.  I won mine (yay!), but Thor had a spectacular crash that resulted in broken handlebars, his saddle sheared off at the rails, and a mild concussion. Poor guy has been nursing a joggled brain all week and is looking at lots of rest, water, and limited biking for the next 3-months to ensure his brain is back functioning full speed.

I was able to find one picture of me on the web from the actual race (3rd row down, 3rd pic from the right) - looks to me like I'm having too much fun and not working hard enough here! Overall my race went pretty well.  I had a slow start up top (the uphill section) and was behind ALL of the pro women by the time I got to the first split spot.  *Note to self that these women are not just fast riding downhill!* Overall I thought I rode a very clean run for me....until I got to the bottom third of the course and managed to get the worst chainsuck I'd had in ages!   I tried to just relax and pump my way through the rollers, but no amount of jimmying with my feet was getting the chain to break lose, and I was slowly losing speed - so I finally just decided to stop and get off my bike to jerk the chain out!  I was soooo annoyed and as soon as I got off my bike I was cursing like a sailor as I tried to break my chain lose.  I was finally able to jerk it out (maybe 20 seconds later?) and as I hopped back on my bike I realized there was a photographer sitting right there who had listened to me the whole time. Oops.  My most lady like moment!   Anyhow - i was able to get cranked back up to speed pretty quickly, but was convinced when I got to the bottom that I would be off the podium because of my mechanical. Not true!  I was able to squeak out my first win of the season in the Cat1/2 women's category - which put me in 2nd place overall for the series. Very exciting!

There were a couple big names in bike racing on the start list (Brian Lopes, Eric Carter, and Jill Kintner to name a view).  I managed to snap a couple pictures of them coming down in their pro race later in the afternoon - and Jill put up a post on her blog about the race here.  

Me - right after winning my race. I'm still smiling because at this point Thor hasn't crashed his bike!

Cat 2 Mens 19-39 series podium. Thor was thrilled to end up 5th  overall despite two DNF in the series!
Me on the top step of the Cat 1/2 Women's U35 podium for Sunday's race. I'm absolutely frozen! I need podium coaching from cousin Erica!
Yes - I know i'm on the 3rd place block here - but i really did end up 2nd overall! The 3rd place girl climbed onto the 2nd place block, and I didn't think it was a big enough deal to make her move. :)
Jill Kintner - 3 time world champion in 4x Downhill racing!




Brian Lopes - just an amazing blur as he flew down the course.

Thor with his banged up bike post race. Notice missing grip and  seat!



2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO! 1st PLACE!!!! You are awesome! Your podium picture is great, it doesn't look frozen to me:) I saw the picture of you during your run on the web, holy cow, that is the face of a winner! No wonder you won, you were having the time of your life! Smiling makes you faster anyway, so I always smile too. Also, congrats on the series finish too, your rocked it this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica - you are so sweet - thank you!

    ReplyDelete