Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Garlic Planting

One of the great accomplishments of last weekend was getting all my garlic planted! (Nevermind that three dogs tore through my raised beds last night and uprooted most of it...sigh... hopefully it will all make it despite the disturbance).

I planted two varieties this year - and I planted a whole bed's worth - which I am really excited about!

Musik: This is a hard neck variety that is supposedly very easy to grow, disease resistant, and with nice flavor. I planted two bulbs worth (approximately 5-6 large cloves per bulb). This is my first time planting a hardneck variety - so I'm interested to see how it turns out!

Musik. Photo from Easy to Grow Bulbs.

Nootka Rose. Photo from Bloosqualls Garlic Farm

Nootka Rose: This is a softneck, silverskin variety that is supposed to store and braid exceptionally well. Thor and I have always planted softneck varieties in the past because I like being able to braid it (the last batch of seed garlic we bought was Western Rose variety - but I can't see that I ever posted that back in 2008!) . I planted five bulbs worth of this variety - which may produce up to 40 garlic bulbs come next July!

Here is a link to a handout I picked up at Portland Nursery about planting/caring for garlic in case anyone is interested in more information about cultivating garlic themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment