Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Potato Planting!

This year I'm going to give a different 'vegetable' a try - potatoes! Thor and I picked up some seed fingerling potatoes at the Portland Nursery this past weekend and we're going to give them a go in our raised beds. The variety we chose is called La Ratte, and they are supposed to be wonderful and creamy in texture with a slightly nutty flavor - great for roasting or boiling. Sounds delicious! Now if I can just manage not to kill them!

Today I sliced up the seed potatoes into pieces so that there was at least one 'eye' on each piece - then I dipped the cut ends in wood ash to help them scab over. I'm going to let them 'cure' overnight and then tomorrow I'll drop them into their little troughs out in the bed. There is a good flyer on the Portland Nursery website that I saved to my google docs on Potato Culture that I will probably need to refer to a number of times to make sure I'm hilling & fertilizing correctly.

1 comment:

  1. my parents always grew lots of potatos when we were little. I don't think they are too hard to grow. Good luck! I just planted my tomato, broccoli, and zucchini seeds inside this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete