Monday, March 22, 2010

Garden 'Monsters'

I realize spiders are good and supposedly a gardener's friend -- but that doesn't mean I like coming across them when I'm on my hand and knees in the dirt! Look at the size of this one - and it's on my SHOVEL, not my trowel!

I looked it up online and I think it was a female trap/folding door spider. I about had a fit when I saw it moving next to my hand. I started screaming for Thor to come over - i'm sure the neighbors thought we were having an emergency (which, from my perspective it kind of WAS an emergency - the dang thing was huge! hah hah) I can't find much information on this type of spider online - but I'm at work anyways, so best not to spend the whole day researching spider species. =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to Ralph for the following additional info on trap door spiders!

    The female trap door spider, Antrodiaetus Pacificus, is a small member of the tarantuloid family, they are of the genus myglamorph and this one is a native of the pacific northwest. They build a beautiful silk-lined nest in the ground; I've seen them and it looks like they can go down a long ways. The best web site shows the California species: http://mamba.bio.uci.edu/~pjbryant/biodiv/spiders/Bothriocyrtum%20californicum.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrrrrg! I don't know what I'd do if I came across that one...

    ReplyDelete