Monday, September 14, 2009

Packrafting on the White Salmon

This past weekend Thor & I headed out to our friends Becky & Daren's family ranch to celebrate Becky's 30th birthday. On Saturday we went and floated the lower section of the White Salmon River from BZ Corner to Husum Falls. Our friend, Andy, came with us and paddled his kayak. I think it was a fairly fun day for Thor & I in the packrafts, most of the runs are about a class 3 (except for Husum Falls themselves).

Andy & Thor suiting up at the truck.
Thor running the first set of rapids up at the BZ Corner put in.
I just barely caught the tail end of him coming out of the rapids too!

Andy coming through the same rapids - his boat is entirely hidden by the water.

Thor & Andy in this dug out 'cave' we ran into about half way down the run. We were able to paddle in under the bank and hand out in the calm water for a bit. I think we surprised a number of guided raft boats when we just popped out in the middle of their group!


Here's a shot of Husum Falls. I think this is about a 15 foot (?) waterfall. Thor & Andy opted to run it. I volunteered for photography duty.

Thor approaching the falls. He admitted to me later that he might have backed out if there hadn't been a $20 bet on the line with Andy that Thor could make it over the falls without tipping over. (Spoiler alert: Andy won that bet.)


Thor entering the falls. What I don't have is a picture of Thor's boat completely disappearing into the foam. For about 5 seconds. Yikes. But he popped back up eventually!


Andy going over the same falls - he also rolled. I realize the falls look a lot smaller in these pictures - believe me - they were big & rumbly in real life!


3 comments:

  1. Ohhh! Awesome waterfall...good thing there wasn't a rock or log underneath. Tons of fun and nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Ralph! TONS of commercially guided trips go over that falls every weekend. It's well scouted and reported on online. We definitely watched a few boats go over before Andy & Thor decided to try it!

    ReplyDelete