Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Amy's Baby Sweater

I finished this baby sweater for my friend, Amy, last week. Amy races on the same bike team as I do, and although we're VERY excited about her new little addition it has been a bummer not to get to spend time with her on the bike this past winter.


I used a pattern from Blue Moon Fiber Arts called 'Baby Mine' by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Loved it! The pattern was easy to follow - and I think turned out really well. I knit the 6 month old size using one skein of Blue Moon Socks That Rock in their mediumweight - the colorway I used was Quilla (one of their 'spirit way' colorways).

The gauge called for 6 sts/" - which for me is about a US size 2. When I went to root up my needles though - I discovered that my double points are 2.75 mm and my circulars are 3.0 mm, but both US size 2. Hmph. I didn't feel like buying new needles just for this project - so I winged it. In retrospect I wish I had gone out and bought a 2.75 mm circular needle for the project. I don't think anyone else will be able to tell the difference between the sleeves and the body of the sweater, but I like the feel of the material knit on the smaller needles better.

The buttons I used are Dill Buttons. As far as I can tell there is no identifying style number or colorway on the packaging (except one number -870 - but I'm not sure what that refers to) - this is too bad because the buttons are really cute and perfect for this sweater. They are a 1/2" diameter -- the only hard thing about them is that the actual hole in the shank is so small that Thor had to rig me a little button threader out of fishing line to get my yarn through the hole!

1 comment:

  1. I love that darling sweater! I don't know what it is, but I can hardly crochet a leper bandage. I think that took me a couple years to finish and it was so ugly, but it was done with a lot of love! You rock girlie. How is your garden?

    ReplyDelete