Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stottlemeyer 60

This post is pretty overdue - I was having trouble getting signed into Blogger for awhile, and then I forgot that I hadn't posted these pictures! Argh - sorry for the brevity of this post - I just want to get it up at this point!

Two weekends ago I rolled up to Seattle to visit Kathryn and Brian - and race the Stottlemeyer 60 near Port Gamble, WA. As you can probably guess from the name - the race was 60 miles, which is about twice as far as I've ever ridden on a mountain bike. Ooof.     Overall the race ended up going pretty well for me, despite the fact that in my 5 a.m. blur stumbling around the house I managed to put Kathryn's contacts in instead of my own - so I wasn't seeing very well.  (sort of hilarious after the fact, but I was really annoyed at the race - my depth perception was WAY off and I couldn't figure out what was going on!).

The course was twisty with a lot of off camber damp roots - the first lap was tough!  it took me almost 2 hours to complete.  By the end of the lap the sun had come out though, and that dried things up a lot. The final  three laps went much faster, and I ended up finishing in just under 6:30 - good enough for 5th place in the women's category!





1 comment: