Thursday, July 8, 2010

Plains of Abraham - Biking near Mount St.Helens

This past weekend Thor and I stayed in Portland over the 4th of July weekend. We took advantage of being around by getting in a mountain bike ride that we've been wanting to do for ages: Plains of Abraham up near Mount St.Helens. We went with our friends Abby & David - and ended up riding Ape Canyon --> Plains of Abraham --> Windy Ridge --> Smith Creek. A long day - but beautiful - and now one of our all time favorite rides!

Once again my photos are all out of order - for some reason blogger won't let me re-organize the photos when I'm using Google Chrome - but I don't think it will matter too much. We rolled out of Portland about 7 in the morning - and were back by 5 or 5:30, I think (including a stop at Burgerville for fresh strawberry milkshakes, of course!)

A steep hill somewhere along windy ridge. I actually rode down part of it before having to hop off my bike to walk!

Abby & I crossing Smith Creek.
This shot gives you an idea of the magnitude of the mountain! You can barely make out David & I riding along!


Gorgeous scenery up on Plains of Abraham - we had perfect weather. Sunny and dry, but not too hot.


A view down towards Smith Creek.
At the top of Ape Canyon.

From low down in Ape Canyon - looking up towards St. Helens (still shrouded in morning fog)
Abby & I attempting to ride across a snow field - it's tough!



1 comment:

  1. Nice looking ride! I gotta get up there and do that one. Someday ...

    ReplyDelete