Monday, February 9, 2009

Nick's Swedish Mittens

I just finished these mittens for little Nick Nardecchia this past weekend. They were so quick to make! I finished one on the plane ride down to Phoenix - and then the other I knit while watching the Grammy's on Sunday night. I might have gone a little too quickly though -- I was converting a child's mitten pattern to an infant size and messed up on the thumbs. They are so small I can barely get my pinky fingers in them. oops. They're more like chewing nubbins now.
The stitch pattern I used is called 'Pattern From Gammelgarn' out of the book The Mitten Book by Ingrid Gottfridsson. (You might notice this is a rather pricey little paperback book...that's because it is out of print!). I used leftover yarn from Thor's Christmas stocking to make Nick's mittens [Rauma 3tr. Strikke-garn in Light Yellow (#120) and Gold (#148)]. The 'string' attaching the two mittens is actually a two-stitch I-cord that I grafted into the cuff ribbing on each mitten so it's pretty solidly attached!

The mittens.

Nick demonstrating how to use the 'chew nubbins.'

*Note adorable hat hand-knit by our friend, Stacy Maiano!*

1 comment:

  1. Look at how big he's getting! Great mittens. I got yet another compliment on the green hat you made for Sofia the other day.

    ReplyDelete