Friday, May 30, 2008

Poppies!




There are two mature poppy plants down in our parkstrip - one on either side of the pear tree. One has a lovely, delicate pink blossom and the other is a brilliant, fiery orange! I didn't catch a picture of the pink flowers as they were emerging, but I love the way the sliver of color barely pokes through the pod for the first day or so.
I have other poppies that I planted this spring -- but so far not much action there. The Himalayan poppies I planted in my raised bed are sprouting, but they are a LONG way from producing blooms I think. I sowed some California poppy seeds next to our driveway -- and so far those haven't done anything - it's just an ugly patch of bare dirt. I'm skeptical as to whether or not anything is going to happen -- I kind of want to just plant over the spot with something new since nothing is sprouting. It has been over 2 months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment